Padley Chapel was formerly the gatehouse of Padley Hall, the medieval manor house of the Eyre and Fitzherbert families. It was the scene of the martyrdom, in 1588, of Nicholas Garlick and Robert Ludlam. These two Catholic priests were hidden here by Thomas Fitzherbert during the reign of Elizabeth 1. They were discovered, arrested and taken to Derby to be hanged, drawn and quartered for their beliefs.
The Annual Joint Hallam and Nottingham Pilgrimage to Padley takes place each year on the Sunday nearest the 12 July. Pilgrims assemble at Grindleford Station at 3pm, then process to the chapel to celebrate Mass at 3.30pm.
This year the homily was given by Monsignor David Hogan, Prior of the Northumbrian section of the Knights of Holy Sepulchre.
The full text of Monsignor Hogan’s homily is available on the Hallam News website, in the On Focus section.
Photographs courtesy of Eileen Maher