The Hallam Charity Night 2016, which was enjoyed by some 140 people, supported three charities and raised £7250, – the best to date. The Charities supported were:
- The Makeni Trust, a charity supporting people in Sierra Leone
- The Hallam (Bethlehem) Fund, whose goal is to provide permanent Care Services for the elderly in Bethlehem
- The Hallam Caring Service, Marriage and Family Life Project.
The proceeds from the Charity Night were presented by Bishop Ralph at Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury Church Hall on 9 November, 2016.
Bishop Ralph presented a cheque for £2950 to Tony Mulcrone, Chair of Trustees of the Makeni Trust. Bob Lyons is pictured standing.
The Makeni Trust uses its money:
- to pay fees for 11 students who were in their final year when Ebola struck
- to support and enhance the University’s ability to provide and improve education
- to support a local student to become a doctor
- to help build a canteen at a hospital
- to provide diabetes testing kits
- to provide a new and safe water supply
The Hallam (Bethlehem) Fund
Bishop Ralph presents Graham Smith, Treasurer and Fr Gus O’Reilly, Vice Chairman, with a cheque for £2650.
The Hallam (Bethlehem) Fund is using its money:
- to establish a permanent centre for the provision of Care to the elderly – men and women
- to support (through its restricted funds) the baby Orphanage in Bethlehem.
The Caring Services
Bishop Ralph presents a cheque for £1650 to Sue Tym, Co-ordinator of the Hallam Caring Services Family Focus Project.
The Caring Service will use the money to:
- Support Marriage and Family Life projects in the Diocese
The Prize Draw
The result of the Grand Draw was:
First Prize of £1000; winner Mr Gerard Codyre, Clane, Co Kildare. Ireland.
Second Prize a Week’s Chalet Holiday in Austria; went to Mr Dan Wilde, Greenhill, Sheffield.
Third Prize of £250; was won by Mr John Rowan, Fulwood, Sheffield.
The organising Committee wish to thank all those who have, in any way, supported the event.
Members of the organising Committee with Bishop Ralph
The tenth Hallam Charity Night will be held at the Double Tree Hilton Hotel, Chesterfield Road South, Sheffield on Saturday, 3 June 2017. Why not come along and enjoy a lovely evening and at the same time support deserving causes.
Tickets are available from:
Derek Skitt, 01226 245745; Eileen and Kevin Kerrigan, 01709 865348; Dr Des Keating, 0114 2302033; Dr Sandra Brinkley, 0114 2304286; Ralph Dickinson, 0114 274 8764; Delia and Jonathan Kay, 0114 2362537; Philomena and Joe McNally, 0114 2364076; Liz Mason, 0114 2551493.