Plans to restore the derelict gazebo at historic Barlborough Hall School have been given the go ahead to begin next year – 75 years after the hall first became home to the Barlborough school./br
The grade II* listed building adjoins the Elizabethan mansion, which was built by Sir Francis Rodes in the 16th century and designed by the famed architect, Robert Smythson. Barlborough Hall remained the Rodes family seat until 1935 and was eventually sold in 1938 to the Society of Jesuits, who opened it as a preparatory school the following year./br
The gazebo has been unused since the 1950s. Now with planning approval and thanks to a £192,000 funding boost from English Heritage, plans are in place to begin the transformation of the gazebo into additional learning space over spring and summer 2014. Work will include a new roof, repairs to the stone walls, doors and window frames and the repair of plaster floors. It will also include the specialist repair of an ornate plaster chimney piece and the glazing of some windows, as well as the installation of power and light.