2014 is a very special year for the parish of St Mary Magdalene, Maltby.
The Patronal feast was celebrated on 20 July, when the Sunday morning Mass was held in the church’s garden, followed by a barbecue and a celebration cake.
The centenary of the foundation of the parish in 1914, the laying of the foundation stone, by Bishop John Carmel Heenan, Bishop of Leeds, on 5 August, 1954 and the consecration of the church by Rt Rev Gerald Moverley and Rt Rev William Wheeler, on 6 May, 1974 were all marked by displays of photographs and memorabilia around the church (pictured below).
This included photographs from parish groups, Roche Abbey services, First Communion celebrations and May Processions. ‘The Good Old Days’ brought back many happy memories.
A prayer service was also held in the Grange Lane Cemetery, where the graves were blessed and past parishioners remembered.